Friday, September 3, 2010

Classes Online

Back in the spring when we took this job at Pedro Bay, I thought it would be a good time to go back to school and work on my elementary endorsement for the state of Alaska.  So, this summer I spent two or three whole days trying to get online and get enrolled.  Part of my problem was that I didn't understand that the University of Alaska is HUGE!  There are campuses in Juneau, Anchorage, Fairbanks and lots of smaller schools in the major hubs across the state.  You might take a class here or there, but on your transcripts it all says University of Alaska.  And then... there's a site to enroll and a site to keep up with your classes and a site for this and a site for that..... and of course, all the cute little things that your computer can do to show off how smart it is and you aren't!  I did finally get enrolled in 2 classes but I was a frazzled mess.  I paid my tuition and fees and closed up the computer. 

Fast forward to this week.  I remembered that I didn't have my book yet for one of the classes so I sent Amazon some money and they shipped a used copy.  Saved me over $40 so I was happy.  Then, I took a looksie to see that everything was ready and get the scoop on these classes.  I finally found syllabi and I read that I would be using Elluminate for one of the classes.  It's a program that lets everyone in the class hear the instructor and whoever else wants to talk.  I used it last year but on a different computer.  So I had to download that program ---- no, it didn't go smoothly!  Then I wanted to print out the assignments for the other class.  I don't know what happened but the Mister had moved printers around and my computer didn't like the new printer and it took 3 hours to print out 10 class assignments.  I was not a happy camper. 

Now, I've read the assignments and I realize that this class isn't so much about teaching me but about me showing how much I've already figured out on my own.  The class is "Introduction to Educatioanl Technology."  My other class in "Introduction to Oceanography."  I don't know if a computer classroom is for me but it IS paid for..... guess I'll show up.....

No comments:

Post a Comment